Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > 300 Whisper Forums > 300 Whisper Rifles and Pistols
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2005, 01:29 AM

Gas block advice needed

Below is a pic of a Whisper upper I bought used. I have suppressed it, but it is making alot of noise from the gas block area. It cycles subsonics as weak as 175gr SMKs at 925fps no problem, as is. However, I taped a sheet of white paper to the inside of my free float handguard, and after shooting several rounds, noticed black streaks on the paper. Obviously, gas is escaping from around the block. It appears to mostly be coming out from where the gas tube comes out of the gas block. There also seems to be a little leakage in the front of the gas block. I plan on shooting supersonics through it as well, so I'm going to need an adjustable gas system.

My question is should I replace the cheapy gas block with a JP Adjustable gas block? Or should I replace the tube with a Fulton Armory adjustable gas tube and then seal off the areas where gas is leaking? My friend said to use JB Weld all around where the block meets the barrel and around where the gas tube goes into the block. I was thinking of 'sweating' the area with solder like you do when you are fitting copper pipes.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=303415

Edited to add: Pic was too big to include here. Click the link above.

Quarterbore: Is there any way to add an image ([IMG]) type link?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:07 AM

jp gas block

I have not really had a lot of experience with the jp gas block. But I did have one of the stainless ones and it was 7.25oz! Also the gas tube still had to be drilled and the hole then taped. As far as I can figure, if you were going to do all of that, you might as well have taken a regular gas block and made it adjustable.

Also the jp is tall, way taller than your tube is going to allow. It would look ridiculous at the 4" position without a handguard.

On the other hand I dont know of an adjustable 4" gas tube, but it seems like modifying an adjustable gas tube is going to be the way to go.

Dont know about your gas escaping troubles or questionable copper piece. Jb weld may be a lot easier.

luck,
Dan
Old 07-17-2005, 03:52 AM

Dan,

Alot of what you said seems obvious now that I read it, but I hadn't thought of it. Thanks for your advice!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3499a
Also the jp is tall, way taller than your tube is going to allow. It would look ridiculous at the 4" position without a handguard.

On the other hand I dont know of an adjustable 4" gas tube, but it seems like modifying an adjustable gas tube is going to be the way to go.
Then throw this into the mix:
www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/jp-blocks.jpg

I also have plans to offer a proper adjustable pistol-length gas tube, but I am still waiting for the adjuster parts to come in so that I can install them on some pistol gas tubes.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Old 08-29-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm interested in the pistol length gas tube!

Randall, I need to buy some 300 Whisper brass. You have two different prices listed on your website. $75 and $90 for 500pcs. Which is it? And is that shipped? Thanks!