Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > Title 1 Weapons Forums > AR-10 Topics
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Smile A2 with scope attachment or A4

Originally I was interested in purchasing a RRA LAR-08 but due to the uncertainty or lenghty time period for production (see my reply in thread entitle "Rock Riover Arms") I started looking into another rifle already in the market, the Armalite AR-10 (a few hundred dollars more though).

As I deepened my knowledge as to the different models available I was soon faced with a decision to make; and here is where I am humbly seeking input and advise from previous owners and experts on this rifle. Here is the dilemma:

The AR2 comes with the carry handle as part of the upper receiver, in other words it is non-detachable.

The AR4 comes flat with a Picattini rail to which you can attach either a scope or the handle.

I like the look of the rifle with the handle, but for long range shooting (50-100 or more yards) my eyesight is not quite what it used to be, therefore, I would need a scope.

Because of that I was changing my original preference for the A2 and going towards the A4, except that this morning I saw a picture on a website of an A2, with a picattini rail over the handle and a scope attached to it.

If this assembly does not hinder the accuracy, performance, compfort and handling of the rifle it would be my choice. Was this arrangement used with the real M16? Is it adviseable? Are there any cons? What are they?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks to all of you who can help me make a decision.

Rick