Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > National Firearms Act Weapons > Silencers
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM

Form 1 can

Can anyone run me through the process of filling out the paperwork and any diagrams or what not of my proposed can that I want to build? I have a couple horror stories of guys in prison because of a paperwork error, and don't feel like compromising the sanctity of my bunghole to some POS felon gangbanger / drugdealer / rapist / burglar...well, you get the idea. I've started drawing up what I want to do, but just don't know how to get the ball rolling. Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Kevin
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quite simple, but a full metric shit-ton to type. Follow this link and you will be ok, ask questions here if you need help

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_.html
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Those metric shit-tons are WAY more than the standard ones.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Good God. That was a 13 page waste of time. I can't believe how many of those idiots asked the same damn question. I think 'suppressor" was mentioned twice in the whole thread. Again, I need instructions on filling out a Form 1 for a SUPPRESSOR not a SBR. Thanks fellas.

Kevin
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Its incredibly simple. You get 2 copies of the form 5320.1 from the BATF. You can download them (I think) from their website as PDF forms. If not they'll mail you copies. You will also need 1 copy of the citizenship certification form and 2 fingerprint cards with the NFA branch stamp. You can get the citizenship form from the ATF site as well and fingerprint cards should be available from any of your local class 3 dealers or if you have to you can request them from ATF as well. It will take some time to get the forms from ATF so check local dealers first. They get them free from ATF but they limit us in how many they'll send and how often they'll send them.

Fill the form 1 out preferably with a typewriter as handwritten is sometimes tough to read. You will need to have some basic info on the can like the length, caliber and a serial number. The instructions on the forms will help you come up with a serial number if you have some questions. The forms do have a pretty comprehensive set of instructions and your best bet is to get a copy somewhere online and look it over. Once you see the form you can ask questions about areas that you're not sure of.
On the back side you'll have to fill out the questions just like you do on a 4473 or form 4, put down a reason for making the can (collection, range safety, any lawful purpose) sign the form.
Fill out the citizenship form. Its pretty tough, you need to put your name in twice in the little boxes and sign the form. If you're a US citizen thats it, if you have a green card you need to fill out another line or two.
Fill out the Fingerprint cards. They are pretty self explanatory. Any numbers listed that you don't know are most likely not needed. Social insecurity number is required. The employer listing is usually filled out by the PD and the officer doing the prints has to sign. Once again look over the forms and ask questions about the stuff you don't understand. Its a lot easier to answer those than it is to type 3 pages of instructions.

Once you've got all this done take it to your local Chief law enforcement person (police chief, sheriff etc) and get them to sign it along with doing up your pair of fingerprint cards.

Mail all this off to the BATFE-NFA Branch 244 Needy Rd, Martinsburg, WV.
I can't remember the zip but its on the forms. Don't mail form 1's to the Atlanta address, it extends the time it takes to get them back. Form 1's go to the NFA branch first. They will look over your forms prior to having the check cashed which is what is done in atlanta. If your state has regs that don't allow what you're building they'll kick the forms back before your check gets cashed. That saves them and you troubles in getting a refund.

When the form comes back approved with the pretty blue stamp on it you can build your can. You don't need detailed drawings to send in, all you need is a length, serial and cal in the boxes on the forms. Its much simpler in real life than it sounds here. No need for 13 pages of crap. I've done quite a few form ones myself and helped many others....been doing NFA stuff for a long time.
Look at the forms and as us about any stuff you don't understand.
Hope that helps

Frank
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM

OK, so I ended up going to guntrustlawyer.com and filled out the Form 1 according to their instructions. Much easier. I do have one question regarding the printing of a completed form. There are to be two copies of the form as I understand it. There are two pages that are filled out on the form; are page one and two printed on front and back, with two copies of that being made, or does page one get printed on both sides, and page 2 on both sides. I know, it seems like a dumb question, but I value the integrity of by bunghole, and there's no way I'm going to prison because of a paperwork filing error. Don't laugh; it's happened before...
I forgot to mention that this will be going under a trust as well. Are there any other forms, besides the Form 1 and my trust paperwork, that need to be filed?

Kevin

BTW, thanks guys for all the help!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCrewchief76 View Post
OK, so I ended up going to guntrustlawyer.com and filled out the Form 1 according to their instructions. Much easier. I do have one question regarding the printing of a completed form. There are to be two copies of the form as I understand it. There are two pages that are filled out on the form; are page one and two printed on front and back, with two copies of that being made, or does page one get printed on both sides, and page 2 on both sides. I know, it seems like a dumb question, but I value the integrity of by bunghole, and there's no way I'm going to prison because of a paperwork filing error. Don't laugh; it's happened before...
I forgot to mention that this will be going under a trust as well. Are there any other forms, besides the Form 1 and my trust paperwork, that need to be filed?

Kevin

BTW, thanks guys for all the help!

I belive you will have to do a cert of compliance aka citizenship form with the trust , form 5320.20.

Ps: I meant the first page that has the instructions, not all 13 pages
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 PM

If you went to guntrust lawyer and called them to set up a trust they will send you all the info including 'how to buy' instructions for form 1's and form 4's . The form you asked about has to be in duplicate - page 1 on one side and page 2 on the back side . If you mess up the paperwork they won't throw you in prison but will send it back .

david