Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > National Firearms Act Weapons > Machine Guns
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Well, I haven't been back to post, but now all I get is safe/ FA/FA. No semi with the conversion. Don't know what I did wrong, but I might just buy a converted kit. I don't really use the LL, as I've got RR's, but I'd like to get it working for my eventual purchase of the MGI belt fed and 308 system.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Wink

Well, SAFE/AUTO/AUTO means you did not cut the notch in the SEMI position disconect deep enough. This means when you pull the trigger in the semi position (when BOTH DISCONECTS is on the hammer) that the link is able to pull both back!

So, the SEMI POSITION disconect, the one that gets moved OUT of the way when you put the selector in AUTO needs a deeper notch...

This really is an easy project!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 PM

Is this mod legal to leave in a semi AR or would you get in trouble w/ATF?

I have several lowers I would love to convert for use with my RLL but don't want to leave anything M-16 in them.

Thanks, FH

Also, on the RLL main page I saw a mod using AR parts only. Is that a working modification and does anyone have info on it?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

I am not going to give you advise as your lawyer but I use it in my guns! There is no law that says I can not have a safety that goes SAFE/SEMI/SEMI, right?

Now, some states have special laws about no machinegun parts at all... In those states it is possible that they could argue that the trigger is still an M-16 part as well as the modified disconectors but with the bobbed hammer there is no way you could use these parts to get full auto anymore...

Well, unless you use them with your LEGAL AND REGISTERED lightning link!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore
I am not going to give you advise as your lawyer but I use it in my guns! There is no law that says I can not have a safety that goes SAFE/SEMI/SEMI, right?

Now, some states have special laws about no machinegun parts at all... In those states it is possible that they could argue that the trigger is still an M-16 part as well as the modified disconectors but with the bobbed hammer there is no way you could use these parts to get full auto anymore...

Well, unless you use them with your LEGAL AND REGISTERED lightning link!
That seems to be the underlying thought on several boards! I love the detail you have here on RDIAS and RLL.

I have talked w/m60joe about the mods needed to get several Stag lowers to work with the Link and I am thinking about trying the AR15 selector mod as a winter project. That will at least use up several spare selectors I have on hand before I get it right!

Thanks, FH

Also - any thoughts/cautions about modifying a standard AR Bolt Carrier to work with the link? I have turned one on a standard bench grinder down to .40 on the back then used a dremel to get it to .385 and it trips the link every time in testing but I have not taken to the range yet.
I wonder did this cause a temper problem with the bolt that I need to worry about? Guess I will find out later.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I am lucky in that I have all the SP-1 carriers I need but I don't think that you will have a lot of problems with temper. M60Joe does carrier conversions on a mill and it might be worth it to send him a brand new carrier.

As fr converting a lower to use it with the link... personally, I would just buy a Bushmaster that will work right out of the box but that might be just me...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore
I am lucky in that I have all the SP-1 carriers I need but I don't think that you will have a lot of problems with temper. M60Joe does carrier conversions on a mill and it might be worth it to send him a brand new carrier.

As fr converting a lower to use it with the link... personally, I would just buy a Bushmaster that will work right out of the box but that might be just me...
I am curious how hard it would be to use a standard drill press and carbide cutters to lower that shelf by .2" and also mill out the sides a little for the Link. I could do the sides w/a dremel since there is not much to cut away.

What do you think?

FH
Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

That would be hard on a drill press as they are not made to handle the lateral pressure like a milling machine but it is just an aluminum alloy so it might not kill your drill press?

It seems that most good gunsmiths would have a mill to do this so I would hire it out if it were me if I really didn't want to just buy another receiver. Then again, if you mess the receiver up it's not like it is that much money to replace it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Quarterbore; 03-07-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Back on the board after 5 years...man time flies...

Looking for an update on the RLL w/AR-10.

I am looking at a DPMS LR-10 and am just curious would it work with a RLL and what mods if any are needed.

Thx, FH
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back, it's pretty quiet these days since we were taken down by waves of spammers. That part seems to have been fixed, we had a LOT of cleanup to do, but we are spam free now.
QB did have registration turned off for a while, but not sure if new members can sign up yet.