Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > National Firearms Act Weapons > Destructive Devices
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2005, 11:43 AM

40mm DD pump gun

I figured I would try to get this forum moving a little bit. This is a pic of a 40mm pump action grenade launcher. It is an exact replica of the China Lake model developed for the SEALS back in the late 1960's. As of right now. there are only 5 guns in existence. Four of them are in museums, and I have the fifth. Chime in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpgun40.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	23  
Old 05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I like the concept but I would be worried about that sharp point in the back of a HE boomer round

What does that monster weigh?

Would the "behive" rounds where you load a bunch of 22LR rounds into a single 40mm holder work with something like this?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Its quite light.....

Weighs about the same as a standard M16.
Its all aluminum except for select internals and of course the walnut stock.
I am trying to come up with some type of collapsible or folder for it.
This weapon was designed around one specific type of round....HE only!!
This was an original design that was never taken to the next level. For the life of me I do not know why!! It has tremendous potential and is a great shooter. Just limited to seriosly inflicting damage!!! What else could you ask for in a grenade launcher?? We are going to go into a short run production with this gun. 50 guns I believe. Then we'll see after that.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Any idea on the price? Also, for those of us without DOD supply chains, would this work with Chalk or other non $200/ea rounds?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 PM

We calculate around $7000, but its a bit too soon to tell for sure. This weapon will function with the chalk rounds to a point. The mag tube holds 3 rounds plus 1 in the chamber. When the gun is cycled, there is alot of spring pressure pushing the 3 rounds into the feed system. The problem is such that you have a round that weighs about 6 ounces sitting on top of a plastic nose cone on the previous round . When the movement of ammo stops, inertia is still present and the last round will break the one its sitting on top of. The only way I found to eliminate 75% of that problem is to load the mag tube with only 2 rounds, not 3. The gun was designed to shoot rounds with the tapered ogives such like the 397's, 407's or the ground smoke rounds. It does not like to feed buckshot or anything else with a blunt nose. As I said before, its sole purpose in design was to blow things up, period. I have manufactured my own reloads for testing and they work well. I have used plastics and aluminum and the all work about the same.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 PM

Now this thing is civvy legal, right? I thought you couldn't have new ones made after '86, or does this only apply to ?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:11 AM

hello everyone,

as of right now I am the person doing most of the writing on the Wikipedia entry of this weapons system. I am on the lookout for more factual information, which is my problem. It seems that the design keeps getting confused with a 1995 design known as the EX-41.

I personally like the concept, but the design could be improved.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 weelin geezer View Post
Now this thing is civvy legal, right? I thought you couldn't have new ones made after '86, or does this only apply to ?
There are 6 types of NFA items. The '86 law is ONLY for full auto.