Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > Knife Forums > Buck-186 Titanium
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
M9 Bayonet Collectors Club

Phrobis 186

After the crew at Phrobis (Qual-a-tec) tried out the folding knife with the attached belt clip they refined the design to include titanium scales. Phrobis had a source for powdered titanium and the had an outside firm sinter the side plates for them. Phrobis made a total of 50 of these titanium folders with Phrobis markings prior to licensing the design to Buck Knives. Buck won the "Knife of the Year Award" in 1986 for this knife.

Last edited by porterkids; 02-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Very nice. I like the Buck 110 blade that was used stamped pat pending Coolio. Hey I am also doing the 186 titanium history for BCCI. Mr Finn designed this I know ,so this 50 was made before BUCK made the 186 or during? That would be great info to have. Mr Porter do you know how many prototypes of the 186 from Phrobis,LTD were made?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM

I ended up with the list of ALL the prototype 186's from Harry Camphuysen of PHROBIS.... Funny how life is. I remember as a kid buying one of these and its STILL one of my favorite knives.
Mr Porter not to correct you BUCK got the Knife of the Year in 1987 for the 186 AKA Ti-Master..
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
M9 Bayonet Collectors Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Mr Porter not to correct you BUCK got the Knife of the Year in 1987 for the 186 AKA Ti-Master..
I'll take your word on that. I have an interview with Mickey Finn where he tells the story of the scintered titanium scales and how he turned the entire project over to Buck. In that interview Mickey said it was 1986, but he could have been mistaken. I think the point he was trying to make was his design was marketed by Buck and they won the award with it.