Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > Knife Forums > Ontario Knife Works M9 Bayonet
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 05:28 AM

Ontario M9 Bayonet Blackening

Hello,

I picked up an M9 Bayonet made by Ontario USA (no Broad Arrow marking, or in more exotic terms, "crows foot" stamping) for $150 AUD in an Pawn Shop in Queensland, Australia by incredible luck as I was looking at a M9 or a German AK Bayonet to use as a bowie knife-wire cutter combo as I do a bit of fencing in the middle of the bush sometimes, anyways, thats basically the known history of the M9 in question.

Anyway, I've since put a new edge on it by hand with a course stone (don't know which grade, but it came with a set of wood chisels) in a matter of 3 and 1/2 hours as the bayonet is in used but never sharpened condition (until now that is.) After doing this and removing the black finish on the blade ...

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS, is the black finish\blackening on the blade the dryed Solid Film Lubricant (MIL-SPEC MIL-L-2339) talked of in TM 9-1005-237-23&P, a.k.a. the manual found on none other than www.M9Bayonet.com (thanks and much kudos to m9bayonet.com!)?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartOutfitting View Post
Hello,

I picked up an M9 Bayonet made by Ontario USA (no Broad Arrow marking, or in more exotic terms, "crows foot" stamping) for $150 AUD in an Pawn Shop in Queensland, Australia by incredible luck as I was looking at a M9 or a German AK Bayonet to use as a bowie knife-wire cutter combo as I do a bit of fencing in the middle of the bush sometimes, anyways, thats basically the known history of the M9 in question.

Anyway, I've since put a new edge on it by hand with a course stone (don't know which grade, but it came with a set of wood chisels) in a matter of 3 and 1/2 hours as the bayonet is in used but never sharpened condition (until now that is.) After doing this and removing the black finish on the blade ...

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS, is the black finish\blackening on the blade the dryed Solid Film Lubricant (MIL-SPEC MIL-L-2339) talked of in TM 9-1005-237-23&P, a.k.a. the manual found on none other than www.M9Bayonet.com (thanks and much kudos to m9bayonet.com!)?

Thanks.
G'day from a fellow Queenslander. $150 is not bad for an Ontario M9 down here, have seen them sold for $379.

Sourced from Ontarios main site, I can only find the following information, perhaps you can email them and ask?

M9-Bayonet
Available in Black or OD Green.
Features include:
• 420 modified stainless steel blade
• 12.125" overall length, 7" blade, .235" thickness
• Milled sawteeth on back
• Black oxide non-reflective finish
• Textured thermoplastic nylon handle
• Fits M16, M4 and AR-15

M9 Scabbard
Thermoplastic nylon, wire cutter and screw-driver. Equipped with a quick
release military holster. Black or OD green.
Specifications
National Stock Number (NSN) 1095-01-227-1739
Edge Type Combo
Lock Type Fixed
Deployment Mechanism -
Pocket Clip Configurations -
Hardness 53-57 HRC
Overall Length 12.25 in (31 cm)
Closed Length -
Weight 1.0 lb (0.43 kg)
Blade Length 7 in (18 cm)
Blade Material 420 Modified Stainless Steel
Blade Grind Flat
Blade Angle
Blade Thickness 0.24 in (0.61 cm)
Blade Color Black
Blade Finish Zinc Phosphate
Blade Stamp M9 Ontario Knife Co. USA
Handle Color Olive Drab
Handle Material Modified Kraton
Handle Thickness 1.07 in (2.7 cm)
Sheath Type Bianchi Clip
Sheath Color Olive Drab
Sheath Material Glass Filled Nylon
Packaging Type Box
Packaged Dimensions 15.5 in x 3.5 in x 3.75 in (39 cm x 9 cm x 9.5 cm)
Shipping Weight
Release Date -
Country of Origin United States of America