Quarterbore.Net Forums

Go Back   Quarterbore's Forums > Knife Forums > The Rambo Knives
Home Forums Classifieds Photo Server FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

History of the knives used in the Rambo Movies

The knives used in the Rambo movies are significant because they were a significant contributor to the design of the Buck 184 Buckmaster knife which then became the M9 Bayonet. This thread is being used to try to document some of the background and history of these knives for future integration into Buck-184.com and M9Bayonet.com.

The Rambo knives - Rambo 1 & Rambo 2:

The knives used in the first two of the Rambo moves were made by Lile Knives. These knives had 9-inch blade and were 14-inches long. The blades were made from D2 steel with saw teeth with a satin finish hollow handle wrapped in heavy O.D. green nylon cord with waterproof O-ring. Inside the hollow handle was a survival kit and a small compass mounted to the inside of the butt cap.

Photo of Sylvester Stallone with Jimmy Lile before Jimmy's death on May 5, 1991.

Rambi II knife:

More details: http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=846

Rambo 3:

The knife used in the third movie of the series was made by Gil Hiben and it is a much more masive knife. This knife features a 1/4"x13 3/4 blade, stainless fittings, macasar ebony handle and is 16-inches in overall length.

https://www.hibbenknives.com/catalog...products_id=29

Following is a photo of Gil Hibben:

PLEASE NOTE: I am looking for more information about these custom knives for inclusion in this history here!

Last edited by Quarterbore; 03-27-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

After the sucess of the Rambo movies, United Cutlery purchased the rights to make copies of these knives. Following are some fome photos and details:

From the manufacturer of these knives I get the following information:

Rambo ®

Sylvester Stallone's portrayal of the knife wielding John Rambo single handedly created the hugely successful survival knife industry of the 1980's. In the three hit films, First Blood, Rambo: First Blood Part II, and Rambo III, Stallone's co-stars were his trusted survival knives. Jimmy Lile and Gil Hibben, two of the worlds most renowned knife makers, created the custom knives used in the films. Their designs revolutionized the knife industry and there were many imitators, but United Cutlery was the only company to ever offer accurate, licensed reproductions of all three knives. The imitations are long gone but the UCC originals are still top sellers to this day, a testament to the brilliance uniqueness of the designs.

RAMBO - FIRST BLOOD
UC0000RB1

The Original Tactical Knives
Officially licensed reproductions of the actual knives used in the films. The UC0000RB1 feature machined aluminum cord-gripped handles that contain an emergency survival kit and precision compass mounted in pommel. Stainless guards incorporate standard and Phillips head screwdriver points in the design. All three knives have 1/4" thick 420 J2 stainless blades and top grain genuine leather sheaths.

Rambo® First Blood® UC0000RB1

List Price - $149.49

Overall Length: 14"
Blade Length: 9"

RAMBO -FIRST BLOOD PART II
UC0000RB2

The Original Tactical Knives
Officially licensed reproductions of the actual knives used in the films. The UC0000RB2 feature machined aluminum cord-gripped handles that contain an emergency survival kit and precision compass mounted in pommel. Stainless guards incorporate standard and Phillips head screwdriver points in the design. All three knives have 1/4" thick 420 J2 stainless blades and top grain genuine leather sheaths.

Rambo® First Blood® Part II
UC0000RB2

List Price - $149.49

Overall Length: 15-3/8"
Blade Length: 10"

RAMBO III BOWIE
UC0201

Rambo® III Bowie

Officially licensed reproduction of the actual knife used in the film. Designed by master knifemaker Gil Hibben®. Features a wood handle and a 1/4" thick 420 J2 stainless blade. Includes a top grain genuine leather sheath. Design patented.

UC0201 Rambo® III Bowie
Overall Length: 16"
Blade Length: 11"
Handle Material: Laminated wood with stainless steel guard. Rat-tail tang.
List Price - $149.49

PATENT D302,455

Rambo® III knife design copyrighted and patented by Gil Hibben® of Hibben Enterprises. Rambo® & First Blood® are registered trademarks of StudioCanal Image S.A. All rights reserved.©2002, StudioCanal Image S.A.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 PM

First Blood

Here we have the new Next Generation First Blood knife from Lile.

My Site

Last edited by Andy Wood; 10-04-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 AM

Re:History of the knives used in the Rambo Movies

My brother is biggest fan of rambo.He has seen this movie for many times and he sed to collect rambo movie knives and i like this images and thinking to present one of them on his birthday.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 AM

Thumbs up Rambo knives

Thanks for the post.I am collecting Rambo knives for years.You know,I always keep one of these with mine and I love to keep it.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Arrow rambo

how effective are those knives for actual usage? or is it just a collectible?
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgedweapons View Post
how effective are those knives for actual usage? or is it just a collectible?
It's not just a collectible. Rambo knives can really be used to serve its purpose as a knife. It's just that it's made for a name that's why most people just collect it. But there are still many people out there who purchase this and use it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Rambo 2 Replica

Hello,

I just bought a Rambo 2 Replica Standard Edition at a Steal of a price. I got it off Ebay. This replica, however, is made with D2 steel and cost me $495. It says Caffrey on one side of the knife but it doesn't say Lile on the other side. It says Allen. It also says Made In The USA and there is a #45 by it. Not sure why it doesn't say Lile. I looked it up and Caffrey is a legit name for good handmade knives. Just wonder if when the knife made, it was made by an employee named Allen or something. Anyway, one hell of an awesome knife. I don't know much about D2 steel. I Hope it is a good steel. The rest of the Rambo 2 knives are made with 420 J2 steel. Is that a better steel than the D2?

Last edited by thedemonbeast; 05-06-2011 at 10:35 PM.