View Full Version : AR 10 ... Waltz or R&R?

Lazerus2000
11-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Decades ago, Canada was inundated with CHEAP surplus Genuine USGI M-14 and Genuine AI Dutch AR 10 rifles. Since I was at that time a licensed Canadian gunsmith and firearms dealer, I personally owned, repaired, rebuilt, accurized, and resold about three dozen of each. On occasion, I have also played around at R&R with both of these ... just testing them for "function", of course.

Here is a link to my site on how to shrink your M-14 into something useful.
http://members.shaw.ca/PierTV/LRS/m14.htm

I was building the shorty M-14 "carbines", and chopped AR 10 "carbines", back about twenty years ago. Too bad I don't have any pics of my chopped AR 10 rifles. I thought I had built the worlds first AR 10 Carbine [ with the front half of the carrying handle milled into a Weaver mount, Red dot sight co-witnessed to the irons, 18 1/2" barrel, skeleton stock, AR 15 Handguards and pistol grip, etc.] until a buddy told me about his utra rare Dutch AI AR 10 sample .... built as a pilot survival rifle for the Dutch Airline for use on their trans Polar flights [ apparently they had Polar bears in mind when considering the role of their "survival rifle" ]

Also, as an Ex- Canuck infantry officer [ the man who leads the infants?? ] I have fired off more than a few rounds of R&R through the Canuck versions of the FN FAL, the FN C1 and C2. And yes, I am well aware the the C1 was NOT officially supposed to be available on Fast Forward ... but we cheated.

So, the question must be asked ...
"What is the perceived tactical role of R&R in a lightweight, shoulder operated , full powered "Battle Rifle"??

I've never been able to actually answer that question from a practical perspective ... but who cares, it is FUN!!!

That being said, in my humble opinion, there is NOTHING else in a full powered "battle" rifle as fast on quick controllable repeat shots as an AR 10.
It is possible [ I am about 220 lbs ] to lean into the AR 10 from the standing position, and easily keep SHORT bursts of full powered Nato spec 7.62 Ball ammo on an IPSC sil at 25 yds. From the prone, you can keep short bursts on a sil at 100 yds.
BTDT,
no BS!

It is marginally possible to do the same with an FAL or an M-14 ... but not easily, and not consistently!

Using an AR 10 on semi only, I also won quite a bit of cash playing at "Bowling for dollars" ... three gun matches with bowling pins. Once again, the AR 10 was superior at 5 quick AIMED shots, making bowling pins go away, at 7 yds, and again at 100 yds, faster than anything else except a shotgun.

So is there a place for an AR 10 on Fast Forward??
Probably not ...
but having done it,
I can say it WAS fun.
[;{)
Larry Z
aka
Lazerus2000